Wednesday, July 2, 2008

How does a duathlon feels like?

Race report of my first duathlon race in Powerman Malaysia, November 2007(written in november 07).

**************************************************************************



This being my first race made me nervous since 2 months ago. I don't have high expectations on this race and I only aim to finish it it good condition.

Before the race, met some frens and mingled around to calm my nerves. Took a few pics and monkeyed around some more. I think this was where I got it wrong - I should have stood quietly for a while to strategize, size up my competition and focus for the race. Well, it didn't help also if you have frens like mine who like to psycho each other before the race starts! Aku budget taknak panik.. hampir-hampir nak tekan panic button jugak la dengar diorang sembang hahaha!

my bib

1st Run

The pistol was fired and we're off! Paced with Harry during 1st run. My legs were heavy, sort of like "Why do I have to run today??" Harry was breathing heavily, I thought he was going to pass out at one point or another. Probably not quit warmed up yet, I thought.

I asked him, "Do u want to rest a little at the drink station?"

He said, "Rest like how?"

I said, "Like stand at the station for half minute, and then go at it again.."

He said, "Can we take the drink and walk?"

So we took some cups and walked while drinking. Then he pointed at the makcik nasi lemak stall a few feet in front, "I think THAT's where we should stop!" Hahaha.. sempat buat lawak lagi sambil semput-semput ni..

Saw a few bystanders along the route and I clapped my hand, yelling at them, "Tepuklah!" They clapped and smiled at us. I was aiming to finish this race in one piece.. and I better learn to take it easy, not treating it too seriously. I was not targeting a podium finish BTW :P

We managed to keep at slow pace and finished the 1st run at 35-ish minutes. OK lah.. aku pun memang budget 40 minutes for first run pun.


CEO of Malakoff, En Ahmad Jauhari entering transition(he did the full distance on 10km run-60km bike-10km run)


Salman from the Fernleaf ad arrived at T1(first transition) earlier than me.. so malu one...


Bike

I was dilly-dallying in the transition and almost forgot to change shoes! I told Harry to proceed with the bike while I changed my shoes. One thing that I forgot to visualized was a fast transition! After downing one Powergel with water, grabbed some bananas and I was off. The route was mainly flat except for 3 bridges that acted as 'hills' on the bike leg.

First bridge was OK. One guy said hi to me on the bridge and asked how long have I raced. Well, FYI, this is my first duathlon, I told him. Hmm, do I pose like a seasoned racer? Maybe the jersey made me looked seasoned and 'weapon' but in actual fact, I'm just a mother-of-three who was trying to survive the day!

Second bridge was milder than the first bridge. But the third one.. you gotta see it to believe it. 400m of sharp climb. I wanted to stand climb but since I could climb smoothly while sitting, I just maintained my cadence to the top.

But starting from the downhill, all went 'downhill' to for me. Started to feel cramps creeping in my left calf. "SPIN!" I told myself. If I stopped, I will definitely be finished. Saw Mac and Harry who were on their way back. Alamak! Bungkus lah camni.. diorang memang kayuh laju.


Shahrom Abdullah finishing his 60km ride to enter T2(second transition) for the second run


Tried to flex my legs and I could feel the muscles pulling if I moved my legs in a certain way. Man, I've never cramped before during cycling and it hurts like mad! Well, no use crying now. Just maintained spinning and cadence, u-turned, grabbed a bottle of water from the drink station and poured it on my back. God that felt great!

One km after the u-turn was the dreaded hill again, done in reverse. Jangan nak jadi hero - maintain cadence ONLY.

Yeah, I survived the damned bike route. Upon entering transition, the cramps started to creep in again! Change of game plan - I must not walk! Run all the way!

Packed my bike, downed one ORS packet and Powergel and I was off again.


At last I've finished my 30km ride!


2nd Run

Since the onset of cramps, I have decided that I was not going to walk at all through the 2nd run. First km, I ran super slow that if I was a bystander looking at me running, I would have thrown bananas at myself! Most people on the road were walking while I was running as if my life depended on it. No one overtook me except for the elite racers. Sorry la geng, I also wanted to walk but I have to shake off the cramps lah, so I had to keep on running although very slowly.

At the 1st drink station, I drank one cup, poured one cup into the front of my jersey and another cup poured on my back. Must not overheat!

Saw Rahimi from Powerbar in front of me. He was doing sprint too and he was walking at that point. Not far in front of him was a girl from my category. She walked and sometimes looked over her shoulder. Whenever she looked behind, she started to run a bit and then walked some more. I didn't noticed what she's up to until it was too late - she was actually marking me! Hahaha! Making sure that I did not come too near to her! Relax girl! I was running my own race and trying to survive here.. no intention of making vegetable soup out of anyone!

After the 2nd drink station, I knew I had 1km to go but I was saving some energy to sprint in the stadium.

As for the girl in purple(709, I think), I didn't managed to catch up with her but I managed to sprint the last 100m to finish line in one piece! Yay!


100m to finish line.. at last!


In the result displayed after the race, I came up on 20th place with 2:42:23. HAHAHA! Lawak OK!

Alhamdulillah I finished the race...

This morning, my sister said to me, "After watching the duathlon yesterday and seeing that running is not so hard after all, I think I'll take up running.."

Wise choice, sis, and good for you!

5 comments:

Blackopoulos said...

salam..glad to know that malakoff people also have a blog for MUDS..honestly MUDS is a great event for university students..during my study period in UTM, there're no duathlon event for U student, also no IPT category in MMDS..so I was join MMDS since 2004-2006...I finished my 1st Powerman in 2003 (full du!) until 2007..hope this year, I can bring my student to join MUDS as a preparation to Powerman 2008..

you can share any info with me..and vice versa..

tq..salamz...

The Triathlete Cyclist said...

thanks blacko

we hope that more people will support us by participating in MUDS. Hopefully one day we will be able to revive MMDS as a run-up to the annual Powerman

Anonymous said...

HIDUP MUDS !!!!!!! hope malakoff nyer effort nieh will no be wasted. after all, it'll be too long a wait for kementerian belia dan sukan to organize duathlons for uni students! and after grad,, uni students can obviously still take part in duathlon , or any sports for that matter !!!

Anonymous said...

duathlon : run-bike-run
triathlon : swim-bike-run
marathon : run-run-run
swimathon : swim, swim , swim
biathlon : run-swim-run

for those who doesnt want to hassle themselves with extra sporting gears/equipments, or not keen in swimming ; you run run run...

for those who are not keen on swimming, but get bored easily for single discpline sports, best option would be Du Du and Du..

but dont forget to train2 train2 and train2..huhuh..

Pakui said...

i like like like what missjewelz wrote wrote wrote in here, hohoho... keep it up up up... also thanks thanks thanks for supporting the MUDS MUDS MUDS... bye bye bye for now!!!

see everyone at UM!!!